I've been having problems with the installation of Google Adwords on my Vista machine for a while now. I've been putting off fixing it because I hire people to do PPC for me on a day to day basis, so it's not a huge issue. But today I needed to fix something for a client ASAP, and it was enough of a job that I needed to do it personally, and I needed to use the Editor.
Well, it turns out that Googles installation package doesn't work on Vista. It won't install, it won't UNinstall, it won't repair. Nothing. It's very annoying. I'd blame Vista except nothing else gave me this problem, so it's Googles fault. Oh, heck, I'll blame Vista as well.
Anyway, courtesy of Brent Crouch, I found the fix:
- You need to make sure you are logged into Vista as an administrator.
- Open Command Prompt and change into the C:\Windows\System32 directory.
- Type: regsvr32 vbscript.dll
- NOW PRESS Enter (I got an error after this command, but it still worked.)
- Type: regsvr32 jscript.dll
- NOW PRESS Enter (I got another error after this command, but it still worked.)
- Now try the install again. It should work this time.
Thanks Brent. And a big raspberry to both Vista and Google. Mostly Google.
Note to Google: the "eternal beta" trick only works online - you might want to test downloadable software from now on - just a thought. It makes you look silly when you can't even get your software to install properly and every other piece of software I've installed has no problem...