Note to self: Switching Keyboards

If your keyboard starts spitting out strange characters, it's because you've probably switched keyboard language layouts by accident.

It's easy to do: Press / and then Ctrl Shift

I do this sometimes if I'm just trying to type a "?", which has me pressing the / and shift already. If my finger slips a bit and I hit the ctrl under the shift at the same time, suddenly my typing is all nonsense.

Fix:

Either remove all keyboard layouts but the one you use all the time (If you tell Vista you are a Canadian, it automatically adds French keyboard layouts whether you want them or not) or press / and then ctrl shift again.

Ian

2 comments:

Yannie said...

I always encountered that problem. What I did is restart my computer which takes minutes. Now I know what to do. Thanks for the information!!!



relabo.blogspot.com
mpr-spicesofmylife.blogspot.com

Darcy said...

Hi marianne, we had the same experience , when we type fast we accidently hit some shortcut key, such as "CTRL" and "SHIFT" + combination letters, it accidently restart the computer,

McAnerin Muse thanks for the little hint.